Sunday, May 22, 2011

Firsts...

This week is the first time that Tanner is sleeping without his bedrail. It happened by accident because we left his super long bedrail at the beach. Joshua and I braced ourselves for a rough night(s) but we were pleasantly surprised when Tanner slept through the night we got back, and all the nights after it, without falling off (the "thunk" before we bought the rail was the absolute worst). He is proud and we are too...we are also getting ready for our summer trip to California, where I am dreading the ridicule when certain people see that I still spend too much time feeding Tanner myself (because he takes SO SO SO SO long), so we are working on that (in training together, really). Lastly, Susannah is helping me teach Tanner how to put his underwear, pants, and shirts on. He is doing such a great job and is quite proud, but shirts give him a real problem. I love watching him spin and try to find his own head inside the shirt. I also note how I have to hold myself back from wanting to smooth the road for him, or worse, do it for him. I have a lot to learn as a mother, and perhaps a bit to learn about how over-serving can kill self-reliance as much as under-serving people. Hmm.